Roof renovations can be costly affairs, and this is one of the reasons why some homeowners make a bad decision about their roof repairs. While we all strive to save money where possible, your roof is a crucial component as it protects the interior against the elements, and therefore quality is vital. Here are just a few of the roofing mistakes that you might want to steer clear of.
- Hiring a Cheap Contractor – Typically, the first thought that comes to mind when thinking of roof repairs is cost. Some homeowners think that a cheap quote must be the best option, when in actual fact, the repairs will probably cost you more in the long run, than if you had the job done properly in the first place. You should get at least 3 quotes, and by making inquiries about the contractor’s history, you will soon discover any shortcomings.
- On the Surface Repairs – Often, the roof is damaged due to water that enters via broken or dislodged roof tiles, and when this happens, the timber internal structure will suffer. Simply replacing the missing tiles might not be sufficient, so make sure you have a reputable roofing contractor take a look. If you happen to live in NSW, there is slate roofing in Sydney that, once completed, will surely end any roofing issues for the entire period you remain in the house.
- Delaying the Repairs – Some things, like a broken fence or perhaps a fallen tree, can wait until a more convenient time, yet the roof requires immediate attention. One heavy rainstorm could mean major damage, and with the Australian weather being so unpredictable, it isn’t worth taking the risk. If you noticed a breach in your roof, even if you acted swiftly, the chances are it will be 2 or 3 days before the work is actually finished, after all, you have to source a tradesman, then come to an agreement, and only then will the job get done.
- Unsuitable Materials – There are many forms of roofing tiles, with slate being by far the best material for roof tiles. It might be expensive, but then again, so is your home and the roof protection is the most vital part of the structure. There is quality slate roofing in Sydney from an established company that specialises in traditional slate roofing, and with a range of colours and styles, you can add significant value to your property with a new slate roof.
- Take the DIY Route – It might save you some money if you get your toolbox out, but unless you happen to be an experienced roofer, you’re better off calling in the professionals. Working on a roof is also very dangerous and unless you have the right safety equipment, it isn’t worth the risk.
The roof should be a one-time installation and by choosing the right materials and contractor, you will end up with a professional job that will outlast everything and always protect the home.